Friday, January 18, 2008

Road Less Traveled

Two roads diverged in a wood
And I took the one less traveled by
And that has made all the difference


I have followed those famous Robert Frost words, consciously and subconsciously for as long as I can remember. I am one of those travelers who can't quite figure out where I'm going, but I know where I've been. I have accepted the fact, that part of my left handed nature is having a divergent mind.

I remember when I was working in New Orleans as a marketing manager, I would have to travel across the country giving lectures and presentations. I very much liked the job because I was able to see new places and meet all different types of people. I remember being consumed by maps and directions, being sure not to sway off my intended path. I would print out maps that detailed my route ensuring my travel was as direct and efficient as possible. It was during one of these trips that I realized that even if I was swayed off my intended course, I was not getting lost, instead just finding new places. I surmised:

...People don't get lost, they just find new places they've never been before...


No comments: